The series is basically the same as the last 2 years except the number of races has reduced from 12 to 6 with the best 3 results (instead of 4) to qualify. This should make it easier for people to achieve.
For those unfamiliar with handicaps, these are the rules for CPT these will be posted on the club website shortly. So get entering your races now if you havent already and email the webmaster so we know whos racing.
2006 latest points
The aim is:
"To encourage people to race, and provide opportunity for friendly competition so that all club members, particularly those new to the sport, have the chance to compete against all other members on a similar level. It should motivate members in their training and provide encouragement in their relative performances. Most of all it should be FUN!"
2. HOW WILL IT WORK?
2.1 The Events
The committee have selected 6 triathlon events that will make up the series. The events cover sprint, Olympic, middle distance and Ironman races and have been selected to include club championships, be as evenly spaced as is possible, as well as being reasonably accessible. Members will count their THREE best results from any 3 races to score points within the series.
The 6 triathlon events chosen are:
Tonbridge 1st May 2006
White Oak 9th July 2006
Sevenoaks 10th September 2006 - Club Champs
Worthing 6th August 2006 Club Champs
Weymouth 4th June 2006 Club Champs
Ironman Switzerland 2nd July 2006 Club Champs
2.2 Creating the Handicap
The handicapping system will be devised by the 'Handicap Panel' myself (Charles Greenwood) with the able assistance of Cathy Green and any other willing volunteers (anyone interested contact me) to create a 'handicap time' for each person for each event. This will be deducted from each member's actual finishing time. The handicap time will be based around the following broad criteria (where available):
- The winning time for the race in previous years (as benchmark)
- A member's performance at that event in previous years (or performance at a previous event deemed to be a good comparator) adjusted for major anomalies where known (eg punctures)
- A member's current 2005 form (this will include race performance within and outside the handicap as the series progresses throughout the year or anticipated performance based on club training sessions etc..)
- The handicap times for each event will be published on the club web-site prior to each event in the series
- The 'Handicap Panel's' decision on handicap times are final (This is a fun competition and we're not maths graduates so no law suits please - If you've been given too low a handicap time then treat it as a compliment, too high a handicap time then use it to your advantage!)
- In each event the member with the fastest time (after subtracting the handicap) scores 10 points, 2nd 9 points etc.. down to 1 point. All finishers will receive 1 point.
- If more than 10 people race an event only the top 10 will score.
- Tied times will invoke tied points averaged between the two placings (ie 2 joint first = 9.5 points each)
- All events are scored equally as above (even if less than 10 people racing)
2.4 Other Details
- Members to log their participation in the races on the Race Matrix on the web-site, via email to the webmaster, or notify me in advance of the race so that the appropriate handicap times can be calculated for individuals.
- Handicap results and 'League Table' will be published on the web-site.
- A prize will be awarded to the series winner.
- The two Handicap Panel members can participate in the series but won't be eligible for any prizes (to avoid any questions on impartiality!)
- Whilst it is preferred members race in some form of club kit - you won't be DQ'd from the series if you don't!
Hopefully this makes sense. Frances Greenall will have entry forms for all the races in the Race Folder so let her know if you want any. If there's any questions or you'd like to help with the handicaps then let me know. Sorry for all the rules - they're only there to try to help minimise any possible confusion later in the year!
Thanks & Have Fun Racing!